VIDEO FOOTAGE: Clip of worshippers who continued to pray Subhan Allah in the mosque is an old video as earthquake hits Cianjur, West Java in Indonesia KossyDerrickBlog KossyDerrickEnt

KossyDerrickEnt

Your favourite Entertainment Blog for trending Gist, Celebrity News and gossip, food and Hollywood Celebrity news. For advert and sponsored post, contact: [email protected]

Finance

Breaking News

Search This Blog

Before you used this banner

Translate

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

VIDEO FOOTAGE: Clip of worshippers who continued to pray Subhan Allah in the mosque is an old video as earthquake hits Cianjur, West Java in Indonesia

Information reaching Kossyderrickent has it that Clip of worshippers who continued to pray Subhan Allah in the mosque is an old video as earthquake hits Cianjur, West Java in Indonesia. 


Information reads: "During the #Earthquake in Indonesia, worshipers continued to pray Subhan Allah in the mosque."

West Java governor Ridwan Kamil told the BBC that the region had experienced around 140 shocks since Monday's quake.

At least 268 people, including many children, have died so far. Around 151 people remain missing and more than 1,000 are injured.

Hundreds of responders have been sent to Cianjur to accelerate the rescue.But their efforts have been stymied by torn-up roads and continuing tremors.

Mr Kamil told the BBC's Newsday programme that the local community was still exposed to these aftershocks, which have in some cases put responders at risk.

"The follow-up earthquake [sic] is still happening," he said, but added that he hoped these would come to a stop by Friday. "Currently we are coordinating [our mission] to focus on search and rescue...[as] many people are still missing mostly in remote [hilly] areas [and] mountain tops."

Mr Kamil told the BBC rescue teams are still traversing the ground on foot and motorbike, with road paths not always accessible, but that they also had helicopters on standby to transport found victims to hospital.

The 5.6 magnitude earthquake struck near the heavily populated town shortly after lunchtime on Monday, reducing scores of buildings to rubble.

Many people were crushed or trapped when walls and roofs caved in. Children are among the victims - with about 80 schools in the area affected, officials said.

"Most of the casualties are children because at 1pm, they were still at school," said Henri Alfiandi from the National Search and Rescue Agency.

Aprizal Mulyadi was at school when the quake hit, and was trapped after "the room collapsed".

The 14-year-old said his "legs were buried under the rubble", but he was pulled to safety by his friend Zulfikar, who later died after himself becoming trapped.

At least 58,000 people have been evacuated with dozens of refugee camps set up around the area, the governor said. He cited the National Disaster Mitigation Agency which has estimated 22,000 homes have been damaged.

The quake triggered landslides which buried entire villages in the mountainous West Java region.

The scale of the death and destruction caused by the quake became increasingly clear on Tuesday, after earlier discrepancies in the reported death toll were reported by officials.

More than 22,000 homes were destroyed and over 58,000 people have been displaced, BNPB Major General Suharyanto said on Tuesday.

In the village of Cibereum, a family said their eldest son, 28, had died when the house collapsed on him. His relatives and younger siblings had survived because they were on a higher floor.

"We have to dig through the concrete of the second floor that crushed the victim. But we have seen the body," a military official, Sergeant Payakun told the BBC earlier on Tuesday.

President Joko Widodo had earlier visited the remote disaster zone where he was pictured with responders.

"My instruction is to prioritise evacuating victims that are still trapped under rubble," he said, adding that he had pledged compensation to affected communities.

Mr Kamil said the government would repair damaged houses, adding that residents living in "vulnerable" areas would be told not to build future houses there.Photos showed buildings reduced to rubble, with bricks and scraps of broken metal strewn on the streets.

"The majority of those who died were children," West Java's governor, Ridwan Kamil, told reporters Monday, adding the death toll was likely to increase further. "So many incidents occurred at several Islamic schools."

The powerful tremors forced children to flee from their classrooms, according to aid group Save the Children, which said more than 50 schools had been impacted.

Mia Saharosa, a teacher at one of the affected schools, said the earthquake "was a shock to all of us," according to the group.

"We all gathered in the field, children were terrified and cried, worried about their families at home," Saharosa said. "We hug each other, strengthen each other, and continue to pray."

Herman Suherman, a government official in Cianjur, told media that some residents were trapped in the rubble of collapsed buildings. News channel Metro TV showed what appeared to be hundreds of victims being treated in a hospital parking lot.

Television footage showed residents huddled outside buildings almost entirely reduced to rubble, according to Reuters.

Visiting areas affected by the quake on Tuesday, Indonesian President Joko Widodo said the government would provide compensation of up to about $3,200 each for owners of heavily damaged homes.

Houses should be rebuilt as earthquake-resistant buildings, Jokowi added.

No comments:

Advertise With Us